What is the best hoverboard for kids?
As a parent myself, I know that our kid’s safety always comes first. When buying this for a child, be mindful of the weight and the tire size.
When shopping for kids look for hoverboards with 6.5″ wheel sizes or smaller. They are lighter, making them easier for your children to carry and the small wheel sizes make them easier to maneuver by smaller riders. Check out our comparison chart and then the reviews for the best hoverboards for kids, all the models that you can find in our top list have been approved by the new UL 2272 certificate that highly qualitative and safe lithium battery effectively prevents short-circuit, safety takes first precedence.
TOP 6 Hoverboards for Kids
So, without further ado, let’s take a look at all the amazing best hoverboards 2019 for kids.
Overall, speaking from a personal point of view, the Swagtron T1 happens to be one of the most comfortable, and most amazing hoverboards you can currently buy.
This hoverboard focuses more on the safety of the rider, so the speed could be a bit slow to adults like you riding it. But for kids aged eight years and above, the speed should be ideal as it’s not too fast and not too slow either.
A common problem for most hoverboards except for Powerboard is the short battery life with the estimation of only one hour. But for Swagtron T1, you can have a fully charged hoverboard ready in just an hour.
As for the Swagtron T1, it’s a perfectly capable hoverboard that offers amazing value for money, smooth riding, lightweight design, and a value for your money. Needless to say, it certainly is a top pick.
|SwagTron T1||Check On Amazon|
|Bluefin New 6.5" Classic||Check On Amazon|
|Segway MiniPRO||Check On Amazon|
|Tomoloo K1||Check On Amazon|
|Swagboard T881 Twist||Check On Amazon|
|Razor Hovertrax 2.0||Check On Amazon|
1. SwagTron T1
Swagtron T1 is known for its excellent maneuverability and excellent safety features that make it as one of the best hoverboards for kids and also adults. For those who don’t know, Swagtron happens to be one of the leading brands in the hoverboard business, and actually, have a lot of different models under their belt.
The T1 can be considered as a high-end model because it does feature some of the best things you will need in hoverboard.
Now, this is a UL2272 certified hoverboard, safety comes before fun, but when that checks out, you’re good to rock and roll!
To get this certification, every hoverboard of this model or every hoverboard going for this certification is put under a number of tests in order to determine the safety.
There are several tests performed on a hoverboard in order to make sure everything is in right place. Before we begin, you can read some of the advantages below:
- Comes with UL 2272 certification ensuring maximum satisfaction and security.
- Offers a top speed of 8+ mph that ranges to 12+ miles
- Comes equipped with a 300-watt dual electric scooter motor.
- The rechargeable lithium-ion battery lasts up to 2-3 hours on a single full charge.
- Comes equipped with LED headlights, battery indicators, rubber bumpers, and a lightweight body.
- Swagtron T1 comes with a patented SentryShield battery technology, and also comes with a smart battery management system that monitors and protects the battery.
This is a particularly good hoverboard for beginners because of its Stop Safe Technology and learner mode. It’s a bit heavy for the under-8s to pick up though. But even they should be able to enjoy this board under supervision. If it checks enough of your boxes add the Swagtron T1 to your shortlist. As for the Swagtron T1, it’s a perfectly capable hoverboard that offers amazing value for money, smooth riding, lightweight design, and a value for your money. Needless to say, it certainly is a top pick.
First on our list is the bold Bluefin 6.5″, an easy to use hoverboard that comes highly rated by us, alongside hundreds of reviews on Feefo and Amazon. Armed with silent drive 350w motors, the Bluefin keeps noise down to a minimal, much to the relief of parents over the world. On the other hand, the built-in bluetooth speaker is definitely more fun for the kids! Simply connect using your phone and start blasting out all your best bangers.
Now, on to safety. As with all hoverboards you see here, the Bluefin 6.5″ is UL 2272 certified, passing varying degrees of electrical and fire-safety testing. The Bluefin 6.5″ also features self balancing technology, helping ensure a smooth and safe ride and leaving minimal room for errors. Sonic-bright LED lights help ensure that the rider is clearly visible and seen at all times. Unlike cheaper, knockoff hoverboards, the Bluefin utilises high-quality, genuine Samsung lithium-ion batteries to further improve electrical safety.
One particularly impressive feature of the Bluefin is its built-in GPS tracker. Not only does this help in the case of theft, but also allows the rider to track their journey and view stats, such as distance travelled. Some parents will take delight in ensuring their child is actually riding to school and not the park… The marvel of technology! As testimony to all these terrific technical features, we’ve placed the Bluefin 6.5″ on our list.
The design and technical features, such as the Bluetooth speaker and GPS make the Bluefin perfect for younger riders. As such, this is a strong contender as one of the best hoverboard for kids.
- GPS tracker is a great feature and a less common fixation to have; this is awesome for theft control and peace of mind!
- Bluetooth speaker (standard feature) & smartphone app;
- the smartphone app allows you to track speed, see battery stats etc, but it even allows you to have some fun and compete with your friends!
- Lithium-ion battery; this battery is genuine Samsung which is of a high-quality grade and Bluefin really takes pride in the equipped battery as it being super safe compared to some Chinese brands or no name batteries. Safety first - we don’t want your new toy blowing up!
Next on our list for the best kids hoverboard, the Segway MiniPRO. Like all Segway products, a high priority has been placed on build quality, functionality and overall design. Rest assured that all parts and components used in the MiniPRO are of the highest quality. The frame of this hoverboard is crafted from highly durable, aviation-grade magnesium alloy. This results in an easy to store, easy to carry board, alongside being highly rust resistant.
Much like the Ninebot S, the MiniPRO features an innovative, height adjustable knee control bar. This allows for precise turning whilst keeping your hands free. Suitable for riders as small as 3’11” and those up to 6’6″, this board really is perfect for kids and adults alike. Children can use the control bar with their hands, whilst adults can simply use their knees. Not only this, but now you can upgrade your MiniPRO into a fully functional, reversible GoKart, with the Segway GoKart kit!
Boasting two 800W powered motors, the MiniPRO really goes the extra mile. Featuring a top speed of 12 mph (20 km) and a staggering range of 14 miles (22 km). The MiniPRO is one of the most cost-effective Segway models out there and is of exceptional build quality. Weighing at just 28 lbs (13 kg), this board is extremely lightweight and easy to carry. What’s more, the MiniPRO has a max. payload of 220 lbs (100 kg), capable of supporting 7.5 times it’s own weight!
In terms of safety, the MiniPRO meets every expectation. Like all Segway products, these hoverboards undergo rigorous electrical and fire safety certification. With an IP54 waterproof rating, this board is capable of tackling all manner of elements without short circuiting. Furthermore, this hoverboard fully UL 2272 certified and is protected from all major fire and electrical threats.
Easily lock your hoverboard with anti-theft or get diagnostics about vehicle condition, all via the Segway mobile app. Furthermore, users can also customise the LED lights to best suit their style, or learn how to ride with the Segway tutorial.
4. Tomoloo K1
Tomoloo are a Chinese based company established in 2013, producing a great number of highly customisable hoverboards. Whilst a big battery scare was born from cheap, mass produced hoverboards, rest assured that Tomoloo are firmly up to standard.
All of their hoverboards are UL 2272 certified and protected against fire and electrical threats. The K1 features a number of additional battery protections. This includes protection against: overcurrent, short circuiting, overcharging, temperature, over discharge and balancing protection. Continuing on the topic of safety, this board features a fire resistant case, waterproof cap, and mechanical self balancing technology. Whilst featuring a waterproof cap, the Tomoloo K1 only has a waterproof grade of IPX4, so we don’t recommend using it in the rain or submerging it in puddles.
Like other models, the Tomoloo K1 is highly customisable, featuring remarkable RBG lights. Simply pick any colour you want to suit your style, all through the mobile app. Furthermore, the K1 comes in a variety of colours to choose from, so finding the perfect style for your child is easy. Like all hoverboards featured on this list, the K1 incorporates self-balancing technology to help keep the ride smooth.
The mobile app allows for a great number of additional features, such a GPS functionality, speed settings, steering sensitivity and much more. Tomoloo mobile app is available on both iOS and Android. The great lights and customisation options make the Tomoloo K1 a great choice for kids. This board also features a fairly high quality Bluetooth speaker built inside, another win for the kids.
Whilst featuring silent, dual 350W motors, the K1 has just an overall speed of 9.3 mph, which is low in comparison to other hoverboards on the market. However, the K1 has a fairly impressive range of 8.7 miles, alongside a battery life of approx. 3 hours. Of course, these stats depend on a number of variables, from rider weight, terrain and speed.
For the price, the Tomoloo K1 is definitely worth it, however being a Chinese company, support for this product is limited. Whilst slacking on waterproof rating, the overall quality, safety and build of this board has earned it a spot as one of the best hoverboard for kids. The perfect new toy for the street and house, and with a maximum payload of 265 lbs (120 kg), we’re sure you can have fun on it too!
Swagtron is a name synonymous with skating rides. The renowned company deals in hoverboards, scooters, electric bikes, and skateboards. This hoverboard is a $140produc that is embellished with many, if not all, features that you want your kids to experience.
The startup self-balancing technology allows the user to mount on the board easily and it balances in an upright position immediately as it turns on. This makes it one of the most user-friendly hoverboards. It is IPX4 water-resistant which means its casing can sustain scratches, impacts and water splashes of small magnitude.
The motors are powerful: 250W that are able to take your kid to a speed of 7 mph, and make him conquer some of the craggy slopes that most hoverboards fail to. The powerful lithium-free battery is another attribute to admire. It can travel up to a speed of 4.8 mph on a single charge which is outstanding.
The LED headlights can light up your path at night so you can enjoy a comfortable and safe ride at night. Moreover, the battery charging indicator tells the status of the charging exactly so you can plan the duration of your ride accordingly. The product had a weight limit of44lbs-250lbs which is a great take for a $140 hoverboard.
As for the demerits, it has a long charging time which is 5.5 hours. The kids have to wait a long time for their gifts to charge which makes them itchy. There were some complaints as to the battery timing of the product. The company claims it to be 2 hours but some customers argued it was only 30-40 minutes.
- Startup self-balancing technology makes mounting and traveling more easy and safer
- Powerful 250w motors that can carry a load of 250lbs.
- Can travel a decent speed of 4.87 mph on a single charge
If you’re looking for a slightly larger hoverboard, more color options, or just a reliable classic hoverboard model, check this one out. The Hoverzon S series is perfectly sized for kids with 6.5″ wheels and includes LED lights for extra visibility. The big feature that really makes the S series a great hoverboard for kids is the Aegis Armor battery management system. In addition to the UL safety certification, this self-balancing scooter provides extra safety with its battery management to prevent overheating.
I will note this model is a little faster than some of the others, with a top speed of 8 mph. If you’re worried about your kid being a speed demon, you may want to opt for a slower model. While the Hoverzon doesn’t have any flashy features, this is a great option for kids who want a hoverboard.
- 250 watt dual motors - speed up to 8 mph with a range of 11 miles and supports up to 220lbs
- UL 2272 Certified - the HOVERZON 2-wheel self-balancing scooter excelled in all electrical safety tests
- SELF BALANCING - dynamic equilibrium is maintained by using two gyroscopic motors, which allow you to control the hoverboard by shifting your body weight
- *Fully loaded *- equipped with LED headlights, battery indicators, rubber bumpers, and two riding modes
- RIDE SAFE - with Patented Hoverzon Aegis Armor smart battery management system provides multi layered hover skate-board protection.Kindly refer the below PDF for measuring guide
Hoverzon is equipped with dual independent motor, gear stabilization and smart battery management system with 5 levels. LED battery level indicator means always knowing how much power is left. Hoverzon hoverboard comes in black, white, blue, gold, pink and red option.
Buyer's Guide: How to choose the right hoverboard for your child?
The learning abilities are not the same for each child. Some assimilate more quickly while others find it more difficult to appropriate, so to speak, that the initial skill level differs from one person to another. Before making a final choice, there are certain parameters to take into account.
- Weight: weight is also to be considered. In terms of maximum weight, this is rarely a problem, as the majority of hoverboards on the market can support up to 120kg. It is rather at the level of the minimum weight that there are recommendations. In general, the minimum weight will be 30 kg for hoverboards with 6.5 ” and 8.5 ” tires and around 40kg for those with 10 ” tires.
- Age: It must be recognized that age is an important criterion of choice. A comfortable ride takes place only when the child manages to trust his board and has good stability.
- Motor: The engine or rather, the engines that have these hoverboards, because they are two, one in each wheel, are available in powers ranging between 200W and 400W for each wheel. The engine power expressed in Watts is directly related to the battery life, speed and stability of the vehicle when we are in an irregular terrain. More power, less battery life, but more stability and speed.
- Battery: Being electronic equipment, these work with integrated batteries to give strength to the motor that makes the displacement occurs; These are rechargeable and almost always lithium ion, being one of the most durable and with better performance. Most models charge in just 4 hours, but there is other equipment that can be ready in one hour of direct current; the duration of the same is relative to the use you are going to give in each of the times of use and this varies by brand.
- Security: Safety is a must because it is a hoverboard for children. Make sure the model you choose is UL2272 certified or CE ROHS compliant.
Among the models proposed above, we recommend, the EverCross & Razor Hovertrax 2.0 for Kids. The speed is moderate and the technology balanced for a better apprehension of the vehicle. For teenagers and children 8 years and older, the Segway Mini Pro Board is recommended.
If the choice of the hoverboard is important, to ensure the safety of your child, the purchase of protection is just as. Remember to equip your toddler with a helmet, knee pads, and elbow pads.